Friday, June 28, 2013

What I Learned In June

I have recently been inspired to make a list of things I learned in June.

Here we go:
1. Sergeant Stubby. If you don't know about this war hero, don't feel alone. Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't either. In a few brief words I will tell you who he was. He was a stray pit bull who was adopted by a soldier in the 102nd Infantry 26th Yankee Division in WW1. He became a hero because he ended up saving lives. What I need to know is, why is this not a movie? Come on Hollywood! Enough with the Hangover movies, let's make a movie about something real. Learn more about SGT. Stubby.

2. I am an introvert. Alright seriously, I always kind of knew this, but this month I have decided to embrace it. No more will I look at the label introvert, as a bad thing. I like my quiet time. I like my alone time. I don't do well in crowds or with groups of people for long periods of time. I don't particularly like attending weddings and showers or parties because they are generally attended by lots of people I don't know. Being an introvert while being the mom of 4 and a wife isn't always easy or convenient but it is reality and it's time I accept it.

3.I am OBSESSED with shows about history. Two of my current favorites are Mysteries At The Museum and Monumental Mysteries. I am constantly looking into and reading things about people I had no idea existed, events I had no idea happened or simply, fun tidbits of history that make up our great world. I love it. The more I learn, the more I want to learn.



4. Pinterest has taught me I WANT to be more organized, be a better cook, a creative baker and a more creative home interiors designer, but I will likely never do half the things I "pin" about. It has taught me I want to be and do better and that it is obtainable, as long as I don't seek perfection.

5. Being the mom of a high school graduate isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I cried and had anxiety about my oldest child graduating high school. I have learned that it doesn't really feel any differently than when he was in school. However, this is likely going to change once September hits and he's not going back to high school. So for this one I will add a "to be continued"...

So I guess in a nutshell, I've learned a lot about myself. It just proves that we never really ever stop growing and learning. The important part is learning and moving forward at the same time.

This has certainly been an eye opening experience. I may just have to make another list in July!

What have you learned in June?


4 comments:

Lisa said...

So do you like historical fiction too? I love period pieces such as Foyle's War series produced by PBS. Pinterest...yup. It inspires me too.

Trish said...

Lisa, I have never see the Foyle's War series! I will definitely have to check it out and see for myself. Thanks for the tip.

And thanks for stopping in! :)

Sharon said...

Hello, fellow history buff! I'm going to read about Stubby, can't wait! And I second Lisa -- Foyle's War is superb drama. I was sad to watch the last episode . . .

Inking the Heart said...

I think you just taught me something about myself with #2. No wonder I don't like weddings or showers or parties. I knew I was an introvert but never really put those two together. Thanks for teaching me something about myself too!