Monday, September 8, 2008

My Music Monday pick

So over on my friend Stef's blog, it's Music Monday and she's asked us what song is singing to us. I didn't have to think long about mine. Recently my family and I have returned to church. We moved to a new part of town and hadn't really been in church for a very long time. Dare I say, many years. Warren wanted to go, but I had lost my fire for it, my eagerness to know the Lord. I wasn't a church go'er as a child by any means. When I was in 7th and 8th grade I went to a local church of Christ in my hometown, and was a part of the Youth Group.

I was Saved, when I was in 7th grade.

I remember our Youth Group was helping a band that was going to perform the following night, set up their equipment. A friend and I were talking to the band leader and our pastor was there. The leader of the band, who, back then seemed older and wiser, but thinking back from where I am now, was possibly no older than early 20's. He talked to me about being saved, asked if I had been. I of course hadn't. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I was quite naive in the whole Christianity spectrum. He and I, and a few others from my group, chatted for quite a while with my pastor. He explained to me the reason people are saved. How they are saved and what it means. I was challenged to look inside myself back then, to see if it was something I felt deep inside me, that I wanted to do for my life. I was moved so much, at the thought of what being saved meant for me. I asked my pastor to help me out and sure enough, that night, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I can remember how I felt in that moment. I felt an encompassing peace come over me. I cried, literally cried on the altar at what I had felt. It was an amazing moment for me, and was very personal to me.

Through out the years since then, I have done, as many people do, I sinned. I did and said and acted in a way that was unbecoming to not only a woman, but also to a Christian woman. I'm not proud of it, I'm not here to say I'm glad I did it, because I'm not. However, I learned from it, I grew from it and I understand more now than ever, how living a life in the way God would want us to, is more important than fitting in and being popular.

I stopped going to church before I hit high school. I never looked back, not once.

Several years ago, Warren and I decided together, that raising our children to go to church and learn about God was something we as parents, truly wanted for them. We wanted them to walk in the Light and understand who Jesus is, and what He did for us. We started going to church, then we moved, and tried very hard to keep driving across town to keep going to the church. Warren really wanted to go, and wanted to try the little church down the road from us, but I hesitated and declined and dug my heels in. (I'm a very stubborn girl!) We never did go. Right after we moved here, we found a little church not even a mile up the road from us. That first night there, I was so moved by the Worship music and the Word, that I couldn't wait to go back. We go, every Saturday night now, schedules pending. It's something we look forward to, ache for. I know, for me it is a way for me to reconnect with me. It is a way for me to connect with Jesus, and check in, so to speak. During Worship I sing my heart out and cry during most every song because they each speak to me in ways I cannot describe to you. Music feeds my soul.

This song, though it has more video's with more music, speaks to me more than the others, because it's just him and some instruments in the background. His message comes across and every time I hear him sing it, all sing along and say Amen.

So here is MY pick for Music Monday

No comments: